Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Baby Bird Update

We no longer have baby birds. When I awoke yesterday morning and checked the box, only one bird was perched atop the dry grass. I looked all over the yard for the two lost birds, but they were nowhere. I picked up the box and took it inside. After feeding and watering the lone bird, I threw away the old shoe box and found a new one. I packed the bottom with fresh grass and plopped the little feathered stranger into the new box. Placing the bird in its new home on the back deck, I figured the bird would be safer. I left it alone for a few hours. I didn't check it again until 2:00 p.m., and at that time the bird was gone.

I like to think all three baby birds learned to fly overnight, and they are now traveling onward. One day years from now I'll get pooped on by a thrush, and it'll remind me of our three little visitors. However, the bird that poops on me probably won't be one of the three birds we kept in a shoe box on our front porch. That's because they're probably dead.

1 comment:

  1. If not dead, then I guess they're in for a rude awakening when they land in the Gulf de Mexico.

    ReplyDelete