Thursday, May 27, 2010

From The Practical Encyclopedia of Good Decorating and Home Improvement (1970)

For a complete look at home decorating disasters, go out and buy Interior Desecrations (James Lileks) or check it out of your local library. Here's a website about that book: http://www.lileks.com/institute/interiors

I found my creative home designs in The Practical Encyclopedia of Good Decorating and Home Improvement, published in 1970. I have all six volumes. These pictures are from volume one.



I get irritated by the home buyers on the HGTV series House Hunters because they complain about stuff they can change, like the old couch in the living room. I have to admit I simply cannot see beyond the yellow drapes to make this room look anything less than absurd.

Wallpaper on the ceiling? Really? I bet the new owners torched it for the insurance money.










The title of this segment is "Family Rooms for Older Homes."

The books says, "Here's a perfect example of a fmaily room that was added on to an older home. This multi-purpose room, added to an old section of the house, was designed to integrate dining, living, and kitchen facilities."

I think we should ask the dog what he thinks. Oh, he's showing us.













This is what Dante saw as he descended into the deepest level of hell. Can you hear the screams?

I think I have that chest-of-drawers.





 Birth Control by Design

1 comment:

  1. L.Dub, this is brilliant! That last picture/caption combo made my whole day.

    ReplyDelete