Monday, May 31, 2010

Fast Hands!

This is a book about the seductive art of sign language.

Published in 1974 by Parents' Magazine, Handtalk is, according to the introduction, "the first of its kind for young people on two ways that deaf people talk: finger spelling, forming words by letter with the fingers of one hand, and signing, making a picture or sign with one or two hands for each word or idea."

I used to check this one out all the time during my days at Parsons Junior High School. I didn't learn any sign language from it, thought. I just loved the pictures.








Let's begin our study of the hand-alphabet.


  Try these fun practice activities before continuing: Go through the entire alphabet, forming each letter to match the pictures on these charts. Go through the entire alphabet backwards. Spell out your name. Learn how to sign a loved one's name. This might impress said loved one later.  Spell out your name backwards. Now, spell out your loved one's name backwards. Learn a sentence that might be useful in a real-world situation. Here's an example: "Where is the bathroom?" Spell out your favorite curse word. Spell out your second favorite curse word. Spell out the longest word you know.  


She's making the sign for "quiet."
I'm thinking I wouldn't want to wind up in her concentration camp.
He's a bug.  He's also a Charles Manson look-a-like.



I already knew most of these. Who doesn't already know the signs for hello, alligator, ice cream, and xylophone?


1 comment:

  1. L.Dub, I think that your posts get funnier as we go.

    ReplyDelete